Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Great day at work

Well, I'm a little behind with my posts, but Thursday we went back out to the farm to read caudal folds. The night before we got loads of rain so we were playing/working in a slew of manure.

First we checked the young pen that belonged to the owner's brother. He wanted them implanted, so Dr. Schwarck showed us how to place the implant under the skin in the back of the ear so that they grow more efficiently before going to slaughter. That slowed down our morning a bit, but it was nice to be able to try placing the implants. This was also my first attempt at trying to move cattle. HA...not as easy as it seems and a butt bar can't protect you all that well either! With "butt bar duty" I was guaranteed a good shower as we pushed cattle through the gates and into the chute. I think I left the pen with ~40 new moles on my face! ;o)
Implanting

Almost every cow within the small group had ring worm around the eyes and snout.


Anyway, we moved over to do the other 100+ and after all was said and done, we found 5 "Suspects" on the farm, so we took blood samples from them to run gammas in the lab. Due to the TB protocol at this point, we had to quarantine the farm. As said before, however, due to the lack of specificity of the test, we expect ~3% to turn up as suspects. So, depending on the results from the lab, and the cultures that will be run, will determine the future status of the premise.

Right after work I got in the car to drive to Wisconsin to see my grandparents and the rest of my dad's side for Tanner's graduation party. The ride was long, but relaxing, so I can't complain. I am currently enjoying my grandparent's company at the breakfast/lunch table. Grandma is slaving away in the kitchen for absolutely no reason, as usual. Can't get the woman to sit down and Grandpa just keeps sharing stories. Everyone here cannot believe that I could be possibly interested in cows. They think it's the strangest thing that I am into doing "that kind" of work. haha....pretty funny.

Anyway, last night was a good time. Went to a tractor/truck pull at noon with my cousin Eric and his girlfriend, went to Tanner's open house for some food and bad mitten (great time!) and then went back out to the sticks to watch some fireworks. This place was impressive. Topped Curwood festival times TEN in terms of people coming out of the woodwork....eek!! Fireworks were great when accompanied by a beer tent!

Well, that's enough of my nice long weekend off. Tomorrow we'll be heading home and I'll be missing a 1200 head dairy getting comparative cervical tests, which we have not witnessed yet, but I will be along for the ride to read Thursday and I'm definitely looking forward to it...should be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment